ELECTRONIC PRESCRIPTION SERVICE
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service. It gives you the chance to change how your GP sends your prescription to the place you choose to get your medicines from.
What it means for you?
Less time and money spent visiting the GP surgery and pharmacy:
- No need to visit your GP practice just to collect a paper prescription as they are sent electronically.
- If there is a problem with your prescription, your GP can cancel and replace the prescription electronically, so you won’t have to return to your GP practice to collect another one.
- Your dispenser can prepare your repeat prescription in advance so it is ready for when you arrive.
More convenience and choice:
- Choose where your prescriptions are sent, whether near your home, where you shop or where you work. This is flexible and can be changed at any time, just let your pharmacy know.
- If your GP offers telephone consultations, there’s no need to leave the house just to collect your prescription as it will be sent electronically to your chosen pharmacy.
- No need to send stamped addressed envelopes as prescriptions are sent electronically.
- Electronic prescriptions cannot be lost so you won’t have to spend time trying to find them or asking the surgery to issue another paper prescription.
- Electronic prescriptions are more accurate which will reduce the risk of receiving the wrong medication
How can you use EPS?
You need to choose a place for your GP practice to electronically send your prescription to. This is called nomination. Ask any pharmacy that offers EPS to add your nomination for you. You don’t need a computer to do this.
All Chemists in Potters Bar have this service available.
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
Yes you can. If you don’t want your prescription to be sent electronically tell your GP during your appointment. If you want to change or cancel your nomination speak to your pharmacist. Tell them before your next prescription is due or your prescription may be sent to the wrong place.
If this is of interest to you
Please advise your Pharmacy that you wish them to be your nominated Pharmacist for EPS
For more information visit: www.hscic.gov.uk/epspatients